Cucumber dal – the different version of the regular indian cucumber (dosakaya) dal. I use the regular sandwich cucumber to make this dal, as I don’t get the Indian cucumber in the stores around me.
Cooking time: 12-15 mins
Prep time: 20 mins
Masoor dal – 2 cups
Cucumber – 1 (diced)
Green chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
Tamarind paste – 4 spoons (mix water and tamarind)
Oil – 2 tea spoons
Turmeric powder – 1 pinch
Salt to taste
Jeera – One pinch; Mustard seeds – two pinches; dried red chilli – 1 table spoon; heeng – 2 pinches; chana dal – 1 table spoon
1) Boil masoor dal in a pressure cooker for 16 mins.
2) Boil the cucumber and tamarind paste in a separate bowl.
3) In a heated pan- add oil and seasoning; wait till it pops.
4) Add cooked dal, cucmber+ tamarind paste to the seasoning in the pan. Let it cook for 10 mins.
5) Add salt to taste and mx thoroughly.
Cucumber dal is ready to eat! Best when served with rice and papad.