Rasam is an all time favorite South-Indian traditional soup. Its perfect combination is with rice and a dab of ghee, with paps or onion.
** Rasam **
Preparation time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
Tomatoes – 2/3 fresh (diced)
Drum sticks – 1 (cut into pieces of desired length)
Rasam powder – 2 table spoons
Tamarind paste – 1 1/2 table spoons
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
Mustard seeds – 1/2 table spoon
Heeng – 2 pinches
Turmeric – 1/2 pinch
Oil – 2 table spoons
1) In a vessel, boil the drum sticks until they become soft.
2) In an other vessel – add 1 3/4 cups of water, add tomatoes and tamarind paste; let it boil for 4-5 minutes.
3) Add the softened drum sticks to the tomato+tamarind vessel with 2 table spoons of rasam powder. At this point lower the heat to a medium and let this mixture cook for about 7 minutes.
4) When you get the aroma of rasam, add salt to taste and coriander to garnish
5) In a small seasoning skillet, add oil and ingredients for seasoning; let them pop. Add this seasoning to the rasam (while adding please be careful as the oil from seasoning might pop on your hands/face)
Rasam is ready to eat with rice! Add a dab of ghee to enjoy the dish further!