Pulihara is a famous Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Karnataka dish. Commonly a festivity dish, pulihara is lime rice ~ tangy and sour in taste.
** Pulihara **
Preparation time: 45 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Basmati rice – 4 cups
Lime juice – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 3 table spoons
Oil – 4 table spoons
Dried red chillies – 5
Green chillies – 7-8 (thin, sliced vertically)
Sesame seeds – 3 table spoons
Chana dal – 1/2 table spoon
Black gram dal – 1/2 table spoon
Peanuts – Handful
Cashew nuts – Handful
Salt to taste
1) Cook rice in a pressure cooker or traditional pressure cooker. Place the cooked rice in a bowl, add 2 table spoons of oil and 3 table spoons of turmeric powder; mix well and let the rice cool to room temperature.
2) Dry roast the sesame seeds and dried red chillies.Cool it to room temperature and grind into fine powder. You can also add the dry roast sesame seeds without grinding.
3) In a skillet, add 2 table spoons of oil and heat it. Add chana dal, black gram, peanuts, and cashew nuts; let them pop.
4) Once the rice is cooled, add 1/2 cup of lime juice, 3 table spoons sesame powder, salt to taste; mix thoroughly.
5) Add green chillies, seasoning with peanuts and cashew nuts to rice; mix well.
Pulihara is ready to be served!