Garelu is an all time south Indian favorite dish! Easy to make, but patience is required 🙂
This recipe uses deep frying in hot oil, please be careful!
Preparation time: 3 hours ( for soaking dal)
Cooking time – 20 mins
Black gram – 3 cups
*Soak the dal in water for three hours before grinding into a paste*
Green chillies – 7-8 (finely chopped)
Ginger – 1 table spoon (grated)
Salt to taste
Oil to fry
1) For batter, grind the dal into a fine or coarse paste. Add chopped green chillies, grated ginger, and salt to taste. Mix well.
2) In a deep frying pan, add oil; heat the oil.
3) Now wet the hands and take batter (size on a lemon). Flatten the batter and make a hole in the center of the flattened batter.
4) Lower the flame to a medium and slip this flattened batter gently into the heated oil. For garelu, any shape you desire works! I like it the traditional shape.
5) Deep fry until then turn golden brown.
Crispy garelu are ready to eat!