My all time favorite – Sambar. I call it the ‘universal dip’ as you can be paired with rice, dosa, idli, uttapam, or just by itself.
** Sambar **
Cooking time: 30 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Split Red Gram Tuvar Dal (Arhar dal) – 250 grams
Onions – 2 (diced)
Carrots – 2 (diced)
Bell pepper/capsicum – 1 (diced)
Tomato – 2 (puree or diced)
Tamarind – 2 table spoons
Sambar masala (from any branded company available in the grocery store) – 2 table spoons
Coriander to garnish
Salt to taste
Red chilli powder – 1/2 table spoon
Ghee – 2 table spoons
Mustard seeds – 2 tablespoons
Chana dal (dried lentils) – 2 table spoons
Dried red chillies – 3-4 ( depending on the spicy taste buds)
Asafoetida (heeng) – 2 pinches
1) In a pressure cooker – cook arhar dal (allow 8 pressure whistles to let the dal cook thoroughly). Open the pressure cooker lid- add 2 cups of water, tamarind and all the diced vegetables. Put the lid back on the pressure cooker (no whistle this time) and let it cook for 15 mins.
2) Now add 2 table spoons of sambar masala (at this point in time, lower the heat to medium).
3) Add coriander, salt to taste and 1/2 table spoon of red chilli powder; mix thoroughly
4) In a small heated pan- add 2 table spoons of ghee, mustard seeds, chana dal, red chillies and asafoetida ; let them pop.
5) Add the seasoning to sambar and mix thoroughly.
Delicious sambar is ready to eat. Best when served with coconut rice! Enjoy…