Coconut rice is a creamy-rich textured flavored rice. This recipe is the ‘quick way’ of making Kerala’s staple meal. Traditionally paired with sambar.. but it tastes delightful with chutney or pickle and papad. Following this post, you will find the sambar recipe.
** Coconut rice **
Cooking time: 20 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Rice – 2 cups
Coconut – 1 (grated and shredded)
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
Chana dal (dried lentils) – 1 tablespoon
Red chillies – 4 -5 (depending on your spicy taste buds)
Ghee – 1 tablespoon (optional)
** To cook coconut rice either an electric rice cooker or a pressure cooker works . If using a pressure cooker, allow about 6-7 pressure whistles and then lower the heat for 5 mins allowing the rice to cook thoroughly. **
1) Wash the rice; add shredded coconut and salt in the cooker vessel; then add water (the same quantity that you would use to cook rice).
2) Let the rice cook (electric cooker takes about 17 mins, and pressure cooker takes about 15 mins)
3) Once the rice is cooked, add coriander to garnish.
4) In a small heated pan- add 2 table spoons of oil, mustard seeds, chana dal, and red chillies; let them pop.
5) Add this seasoning to the coconut rice and mix thoroughly. (Add a table spoon of ghee to add more flavor.)
Coconut rice is ready to eat… Enjoy!