The Maharashtrian Poha is a very famous snack! It can be made in different styles… with different masalas.
** Poha **
Cooking time: 15 mins
Preparation time: 20-25 mins
Poha (flattened rice) – 3 cups (240 ml = 1 cup; US measurement)
Potato – 1 (diced)
Onion – 1 (diced)
Green chillies – 2 (finely chopped)
Coriander – Handful (finely chopped)
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Mustard seeds – 1 1/2 tablespoons
Cumin (Jeera) – 1 table spoons
Chana dal (dried lentils) – 1 tablespoon
Turmeric – 1/2 tablespoon
Masala for poha:
Sesame seeds – 5 tablespoons
Red Chillis – 3-4
- Dry fry the sesame seeds and red chillies in a pan. Let it cool to room temperature.
- Blend them into a fine powder.
1) Wash the poha and strain out the water. Boil the diced potatoes in water for 5 mins until they soften.
2) Heat the skillet with oil and add the seasoning (mustard seeds, cumin, chana dal) and let them pop. Add 1/2 table spoon of turmeric, onions, and potatoes. Close the skillet with a lid and let it cook for 5 mins.
3) Now add the masala (sesame seeds and red chilli powder) to the onion, potato in the pan and mix thoroughly.
4) Add poha to this mixture, close the lid and let it cook for 10 mins.
5) Garnish poha with coriander and green chillies.
Poha is ready to eat!