Rice, being our staple food is prepared in many ways. My mother taught me this recipe; simple to make and has a spicy kick to it.
**Sesame veggie rice**
Cooking time: 20 mins
Preparation time: 15 mins
Sesame seeds : 100 grams
Dry red chillies: 10-12 (depending on your spice buds)
Potatoes – 2 (diced)
Bell pepper/capsicum – 1 (diced)
Carrot – 2 (diced)
Rice – 2 cups
Salt to taste
For seasoning: Cumin seeds (1/2 tablespoon), oil (1 tablespoon), dhaniya powder
1) Heat the pan (no oil) and fry the sesame seeds until they turn golden brown. Let it cool to room temperature. Grind these sesame seeds with red chillies into a fine powder in a grinder.
2) Cook the 2 cups of rice in rice cooker.
3) Heat the pan with one table spoon of oil – add cumin seeds and wait till they pop. Now, add the diced bell peppers, carrots, and potatoes to fry. Close the lid of the pan and let the veggies cook for 6-7 minutes on medium heat.
4) Add cooked rice to the veggies and stir well. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
5) Add three spoons of the sesame+chilli powder, salt to taste, 1/2 table spoon dhaniya powder and mix thoroughly.
For ghee lovers – add 1 spoons of ghee to the rice for enriching flavor.
Rice is ready to eat!